Cans of coconut water are popping up in supermarkets worldwide. This was a product that we saw only in health food stores that has now gone mainstream. Why the changing popularity? Why this change?
Coconut water is the fluid inside a young coconut that eventually hardens into the coconut meat eventually. However, the coconut water is supposedly higher in vitamins and minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese and zinc than the more mature coconut meat. It’s also low in sugar and calories, making it a great alternative to the usual soft drinks.
There are many other benefits to coconut water. According to Dr. Josh Axe, “In certain emergency situations, coconut water has been used for IV hydration due to its high electrolyte content and the fact that it is sterile if used directly from the inside of the coconut. People all over the world enjoy coconut water for its multiple benefits and sweet taste.” (https://draxe.com/is-coconut-water-good-for-you/)
Coconut water can also provide hydration in the case of diarrhea, vomiting or excessive sweating. I remember well one time in another country when I was suffering from some intestinal bug from the food I had eaten. Drinking coconut water right from the coconut was what stopped my problem and saved me a trip to the doctor in a foreign country.
Now we can enjoy the same benefits from canned coconut water. No need to chop off the top of a young coconut! Are all commercial versions of coconut water the same? Given the natural coconut is very good for everyone, what about the canned versions?
The answer is that many of the canned versions are far from “pure”, so please read the labels. Here are a few factors to check for:
- Use of pasteurization which will reduce the effect of the vitamins and minerals.
- Inclusion of sugar, added vitamins, even preservatives or other chemicals and additives.
- Juice from concentrate which lowers the health effects.
- Most importantly – combination with other juices, such as one brand of coconut water that targets young children.
What about the new brand, Cocos Pure? How does it stack up to the other brands? Here are the benefits to choosing Cocos Pure:
- Single-origin Thai coconut water
- 100% All natural with no sugar added and no artificial ingredients, colors or preservatives
- Gluten-free, fat-free, and cholesterol-free
- High in potassium; one can contains twice the potassium as one banana
- A source of calcium, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, proteins, and vitamins B and C
Please ask for Cocos Pure at your local supermarket or find it easily on Amazon.com. Just type in “Cocos Pure” in the search bar. Cocos Pure processes its coconut water using a pasteurization process designed to preserve the vitamin and mineral content.